Saturday, June 6, 2009

sixty five years ago today

Rovine di Monte Cassino 1944.Image via Wikipedia

Sixty-five years ago today the allied nation lauched the largest amphibious invasion in history to fight tyranny and oppression in Europe. I care about this very deeply. I have a strange family. My great-grandfather (on my mothers side) fought his way through Italy and along with scores of other men it was eventually "liberated from Nazi control. My dads Father was in the Luftwaffe he was a Fallscrimjager(paratrooper) Opa was in an elite unit called the greendevils. Opa also fought in Italy. He was wounded badly at the battle of Monte Cassino( shot in the face and both legs) every family has stories like this and hopefully nobody ever forgets. I wont.
Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments:

Post a Comment